Parts of Speech
There is no content available!
To Access the full content, Please Purchase
Identify the part of speech of the underlined word in each of the following sentences:
1. George Washington was the first President of America.
2. When I reached home, my little sister was hiding behind the door to trick me.
3. The doctor advised the patient to stop smoking.
4. Everyone in the room cheered when the announcement was made.
5. The sun was shining as we set out for our first winter camping trip.
6. I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for putting forward your valuable suggestions.
7. However, there are other hotels where you can get much better facilities.
8. Have you ever noticed the eccentric aspect of the American culture?
9. Not only the Mexican markets are chaotic, but they are unhygienic too.
10. Gone are the days when women walk around the streets of Syria at night without fearing any intimidation.Marks:10
Identify the correct part of speech of the underlined words from the choice given in brackets.
1. He is a good musician. (adjective, adverb)
2. I have just done it. (preposition, adverb)
3. He finished the work very well. (verb, adverb)
4. It will take half an hour to reach the station. (preposition, article)
5. I have kept it in the box. (preposition, conjunction)
6. I have kept the book in the cupboard. (preposition, noun)
7. Oops! I signed in the wrong place by mistake. (adverb, interjection)
8. They have gone to attend the training camp. (Noun, pronoun)
9. Can't you wait until we get home? (pronoun, article)
10. The match started late. (conjunction, adverb)Marks:10
Make verb, adjective and adverb forms of the nouns given below. [10 x 1 = 10 marks]
Noun verb adjective adverb
1. ability enable able ably
2. certainty ascertain certain certainly
3. compulsion compel compulsory compulsorily
4. courage encourage courageous courageously
5. danger endanger dangerous dangerously
6. decision decide decisive decisively
7. joy enjoy joyful joyfully
8. poverty impoverish poor poorly
9. strength strengthen strong strongly
10. surety assure sure surely
Rewrite the following sentences changing the parts of speech of the words underlined.
1. You have to believe in yourself if you want to be successful in your endeavors.
2. One should respect everyone in the society.
3. Joanna works diligently.
4. He is obviously keeping some secrets.
5. Mrs. Brown is apparently a cunning lady.
6. James was seemingly determined to take revenge.
7. The magician turned the rabbit into a dove instantly.
8. My mother always drives carefully.
9. The band performed well and the audience was delighted.
10. The professor explained everything patiently.Marks:10
1. In order to succeed in your endeavors you need to believe in yourself.
2. One should be respectful towards everyone in the society.
3. Joanna works with diligence.
4. It is obvious that he is keeping some secrets.
5. It is apparent that Mrs. Brown is a cunning lady.
6. It seemed that James was determined to take revenge.
7. In an instant the magician turned the rabbit into a dove.
8. My mother always drives with care.
9. The performance of the band was so good that the audience was delighted.
10. The professor explained everything with patience.
Fill in the blanks with the correct prepositions.
(a) George will play basketball __ Sunday.
(b) My sister will sing __ the concert.
(c) We are going to meet my grandparents __ Geneva.
(d) It was raining __ night.
(e) The dog is hiding __ the tree.
(e) The baby is playing __ the bush.
(f) The room is very comfortable to live __.
(g) He was sitting __ the chair.
(h) She poured some coffee __ the ice-cream.
(i) I havent been __ a movie lately.
(j) He is addicted __smoking.Marks:10
(a) George will play basketball on Sunday.
(b) My sister will sing in the concert.
(c) We are going to meet my grandparents in Geneva.
(d) It was raining at night.
(e) The dog is hiding under the tree.
(e) The baby is playing behind the bush.
(f) The room is very comfortable to live in.
(g) He was sitting on the chair.
(h) She poured some coffee on the ice-cream.
(i) I havent been for a movie lately.
(j) He is addicted to smoking.