Non-Alignment and Non-Aligned Movement
- The non-alignment as a movement was founded formally in 1961 at Belgrade in Yugoslavia.
- Non alignment offered the newly decolonised countries of Asia Africa and Latin America a third option- not to join either alliance.
- Non alignment stands for peace through peaceful co-existence and cooperation among nations. It means a policy of peace. It based on the premise that war is not inevitable and that can be avoided.
- Isolationalism means policy of aloofness in international relations, but non alignment stands for aloofness only from military alliances and cold war not from all international relations.
- Non alignment has definitely played an important role in ending the cold war.
- Critics hold that non alignment can be responsible for a lack of sincere and real friends for a non-aligned country.
- Non aligned countries while remaining aloof from power blocs, have always expressed their views independently, impartially and boldly on all international issues.
- NAM continues to be a global movement, a movement of all the third world countries, which constitute 2/3rd of the total membership of the world community.
- The objectives of NAM are long term objectives, such as establishing the new international economic order and the democratization of the international system and its functioning. No one can expect the achievement of these objectives in the foreseeable future. Hence Nam is destined to remain alive, active and relevant in 21st century.
- NAM continues to live as the single largest movement in world.
To Access the full content, Please Purchase
Who was the first president of Indonesia and also the founder member of NAM?Marks:1
Explanation:Sukarno was the first President of Indonesia. He led the freedom struggle of Indonesia and was one of the founding father of NAM together with Pt. Nehru, Tito, Nasser and Nkrumah.
Which one of the following statements does not reflect the objectives of NAM?Marks:1
Following a policy of neutrality on global issues
Explanation:The NAM was founded with the objective of creating a group of countries which did not attach to any power bloc either USA and allies or USSR and allies. They wanted to have their identity and say in world matters.
Mark the country to which Kwame Nkrumah belongsMarks:1
Explanation:Kwame Nkrumah became the first prime minister and later the president of Ghana. He was the motivating force behind the movement for independence of Ghana.
The first Non-Aligned summit was held inMarks:1
Explanation:The roots of NAM went back to the friendship between three leaders - Yugoslavia's Josip Broz Tito, India's Pt. Nehru and Egypt's Gamal Abdel Nasser, who held a meeting in 1956. Sukarno of Indonesia and Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana supported them. The first summit of NAM was held at Belgrade in 1961.
Josip Broz Tito was the member ofMarks:1
Non Aligned Movement.
Explanation:Under Tito's leadership, Yugoslavia became a founding member of the non-aligned Movement. In 1961, Tito co-founded the movement with Egypt's Nasser, India's Jawaharlal Nehru, Indonesia's Sukarno and Ghana's Kwame Nkrumah, in an action called The Initiative of Five, thus establishing strong ties with third world countries.