Leadership is the process of influencing behavior of people by making them struggle voluntarily towards achievement of organisational goals. Feature of leadership:
• ability to influence others,
• achieving organisational goals,
• involving interpersonal relations, etc.
Leadership is important as it helps in guiding and inspiring employees, facilitating change, securing co-operation of employees, etc. A leader should possess qualities like good appearance, knowledge, integrity and objectivity, initiative, communication skills, motivation skills, etc.
There are three types of leadership styles namely Authoritative, Democratic and Laissez Faire.
• Authoritative is the boss centered leadership style, characterized by maximum possible centralisation of authority, strict control and supervision, unilateral decision making and one way communication .
• Democratic is a group centered leadership style, having delegation of authority, participataive decision making and two way communication.
• Laissez Faire is the subordinate centred leadership style having complete delegation of authority and free flow communication.
Communication refers to the process of exchange of ideas, facts, views, feelings, etc. either in verbal, written or gestural form, between or among people to create a common understanding. Coordination is the process by which a manager synchronises the activities of different departments and a force that binds all the other functions of management.