Coordination refers to the process of synchronising activities of various persons in the organisation to achieve goals. Coordination integrates group efforts, ensures unity of action, involves cooperation etc. Importance of coordination:
• ensures unity of action amongst various departments,
• creates harmony between different departments,
• aims in integration of group efforts towards the achievement of organisational goals, etc.
According to Mary Parker Follet, principles of coordination are principle of direct contact, principle of early beginning, principle of reciprocal relationship and principle of continuity.
• Principle of coordination is best achieved through direct personal contact with people concerned.
• Under principle of early beginning, coordination can be achieved more easily in early stages of planning and policy-making and integrations of efforts becomes more difficult once the uncoordinated plans are put into operation.
• Under principle of reciprocal relationship, coordination can be easily achieved when people realise this interdependence and interrelatedness.
• Under principle of continuity, coordination is a continuous managerial process which is required for smooth and uninterrupted working of an organisation.
The factors effecting coordination are well defined goals, simplified organisation, proper communication, effective leadership, proper supervision and cooperation. The process of coordination may be achieved planning, organising, directing and proper communication.
Give any two principles of coordination.Marks:2
The principles of coordination are:
i. Coordination should be based on reciprocal relations.
ii. Coordination is a dynamic process and must be continuous.
Why is coordination required in organising and staffing?Marks:2
In organising coordination is required between authority and responsibility.
In staffing coordinating is important for matching talent of employees with the jobs assigned to them.
How can coordination be achieved through directing?Marks:1
An effective leader and supervisor guides the activities of his subordinates in the right direction and inspires them to pull together for accomplishment of group goals.
How is coordination essential for planning function of management?Marks:1
Under planning, coordination is essential to ensure harmony between organisational goals and departmental goals.
What is coordination?Marks:1
Coordination is the orderly arrangement of group efforts to provide unity of action in the pursuit of a common purpose.