Elements of Promotion Mix
Advertising are the paid form of non-personal presentations and promotion of ideas, goods or services by an identified sponsor. It plays an important role due to mass reach, enhanced customer satisfaction, expressiveness, economy, creates demand and increases credibility. Features of advertising are mass communication and media. Objectives of advertising:
• to educate customers about the use of products,
• to create brand loyalty through product differentiation,
• to obtain support of the dealers to boost their sales efforts and
• reach people inaccessible to salesman.
Sales promotion refers to short-term incentives which are designed to encourage the buyer to make immediate purchase of a product or services. features of sales promotion:
• short term incentive scheme,
• directed at both customers and dealers,
• aims at increasing immediate sales, etc.
Sales promotion plays a vital role in inducing customers to make immediate purchases, helping buyers to take the benefit of more goods in less money, clearing pending stocks of dealers and winning competition from other manufacturers.
Personal selling is the process of creating demand by oral presentation of messages and demonstration of the product to prospective customers. Features of personal selling:
• face to face interaction,
• two way communication,
• flexibility in presentation,
• art of convincing,
• long-term relationship and
Objectives of Personal selling:
• to increase sales,
• to convert the desire created by advertising into sales,
• to introduce new products through demonstrations,
• to redress grievance of customers,
• to persuade customers to switch over from rival brands and
• to collect feedback from customers.
Publicity refers to that promotional tool in which favorable news is presented regarding a product or service in mass media to promote sales. Features of publicity:
• unpaid form of communication,
• does not have an identified sponsor, and
• covers favorable news about the company,
• reliable way to provide information to the customers and
• done by newspaper, magazines or other mass media.
Objectives of publicity are to inform people about something, to highlight company’s contribution to society, to draw public attention and to warn people about undesirable goods.
Write any 4 points of differences between advertising and sales promotion.Marks:2
Basis of Difference
Large scale approach
Cost per person
Enlist the features of Sales PromotionMarks:2
Following are the main features of sales promotion:
- It is a short term incentive scheme.
- It is directed at both customers and dealers.
- It aims at increasing immediate sales by drawing stronger and quicker response from prospective customers.
- It helps in creating a sense of urgency for response
State the primary objectives of publicityMarks:1
The primary objectives of publicity are :
- To highlight company’s contribution to society
- To draw public attention
What is personal selling?Marks:1
Personal selling is a personal form of communication involving oral presentation of messages during conversation with one or more prospective customers for the purpose of making sales.
What is advertisingMarks:1
Advertising is a non - personal and paid form of presentation or promotion of goods, services or ideas by an identified sponsor