Relief Features of the Island Groups
- We all know that India is a peninsula. It is surrounded by the Arabian Sea in the west, the Bay of Bengal in the east and the Indian Ocean in the south. The two island groups of India lie on the either side of peninsular Deccan Plateau. Lakshadweep lies in the Arabian Sea, and Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal.
- Lakshadweep lies between 8° and 12° N latitudes and 71° and 74° E longitudes. The name ‘Lakshadweep’ means a ‘hundred thousand islands’ in Malayalam and Sanskrit. It is a group of about 36 islands, of which only 10 are inhabited. These islands are of coral origin, which developed around volcanic peaks.
- None of the islands of Lakshadweep exceed 1 mile (1.6 km) in breadth. The higher eastern sides of the islands are most suited for human habitation. Low lying lagoons on the western sides protect the inhabitants from the southwest monsoon.
- Malayalam is the common language spoken throughout the Lakshadweep except in Minicoy, where people speak ‘Mahl’. Population is mainly concentrated in the islands of Andrott, Kavaratti, Minicoy, and Amini.
- Coconut palms are the main agricultural crops of Lakshadweep. Fishing also forms a major segment of Lakshadweep’s economy, with tuna being the primary catch.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands lie between 6° and 14° N latitudes and 92° and 94° E longitudes. These islands are the peaks of a submerged mountain range. They form an arc stretching southward for 1000 km between Myanmar and the island of Sumatra, Indonesia. These are a group of about 572 islands and cover an area of 700 sq km. Andaman and Nicobar are two separate groups of islands separated by a deep sea known as ‘Ten Degree Channel’.
- Some islands like the Narcondam Island and Barren Island in Andaman are volcanic in nature. Barren Island is the only active volcano in South Asia.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands enjoy a warm and humid climate. These islands receive about 120 inches of rainfall per year, brought mainly by the southwest monsoon.
- The indigenous people of these islands are the Great Andamanese, Onges, Jarawas, Sentinelese, and Shompens.
Name the largest and the smallest islands of Lakshadweep.Marks:1
Andrott is the largest island of Lakshadweep, with an area of 4.9 sq km while Bitra is the smallest, island with an area of 0.105 sq km.
What is the latitudinal and longitudinal extent of Lakshadweep?Marks:1
Lakshadweep lies between 80 and 120 North latitudes and 710 and 740 East latitudes.
Why India is called a peninsula?Marks:1
India is called a peninsula because it is surrounded by water on three sides and by land on one side.
Which town is the administrative capital of Lakshadweep?Marks:1
‘Kavaratti’ is the administrative capital of Lakshadweep.
How many islands are there in Lakshadweep?Marks:1
There are 36 islands in Lakshadweep of which only 10 are inhabited.