Constitution: Meaning and Kinds
• A constitution is a set of fundamental principles according to which a state is governed. It is the basic design of the organisation and power of the government.
• Constitution is the collective name of all the constitutional laws of the state.
• Constitution protects people of the state from authoritarian and dictatorial behaviour of the government. Constitution expresses the fundamental, political and national identity of the people.
• A written constitution is a formal document defining the nature of constitutional settlement, the rules that govern the political system and the rights of citizens and governments in a codified form.
• A written constitution provides stability and efficiency in the working of the government. Unwritten constitution is the one which is neither drafted nor enacted by a Constituent Assembly.
• It is a product of slow and gradual evolution.Such a constitution is drawn from several sources such as historical documents, legislative statutes, judicial decisions, scientific commentaries and conventions.
• Rigid constitution is the one that cannot be easily amended. It is immune to statutory encroachments and easy amendments.
• A flexible constitution is the one in which the procedure of amending is simple and the changes in the constitution can be made easily. It is helpful in meeting emergencies as it can be easily amended.
• Evolved constitution is the one which is not made at any time by any assembly or institution. It is the result of a slow and gradual process of evolution.
• Enacted constitution is a constitution which is made, enacted and adopted by an assembly or a council.
Among the following qualities of flexible constitutions identify the demerit of flexible constitution.Marks:1
Leads to instability
Flexible constitution is very often a source of instability. Flexibility enables the government in power to give it desired shape and content.
Which among the following do not have rigid constitution?Marks:1
Ireland, United States of America and Denmark are examples of rigid constitution. Irelands constitution can be amended solely by a national referendum. United Kingdoms uncodified constitution can be amended very easily.
Which among the following country is having written constitution?Marks:1
The Constitution of India was drafted by a Constituent Assembly, which was constituted in 1946. New Zealand Israel, United Kingdom have unwritten constitution.
Whose provisions control the entire machinery of government?Marks:1
The entire machinery of government is organised and works in accordance with the provisions of the constitution.
Constitution protects people of the state from authoritarian and dictatorial behaviour ofMarks:1
It protects people of the state from authoritarian and dictatorial behaviour of the government