Salient Features of Indian Constitution
- Constitution determines relationships between people and government. It specifies and limits powers of government. It expresses aspirations of the people and generates trust and coordination. Constitution is the supreme law of the land and it determines the relation between government and people.
- Indian constitution is influenced by French, Canadian, US, British, Australian and Ireland’s constitutions. The Indian constitution is a constitution made by the people of India through duly elected, representative body, the Constituent Assembly.
- Due to universal adult franchise all the citizens of India above 18 years of age are eligible to vote in elections.
- Preamble declares India to be a Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic republic committed to secure justice, liberty and equality for the people of the country for promoting integrity of the nation.
- Six Fundamental Rights are guaranteed by the Constitution of India. They are Right to equality, Right to freedom, Right against exploitation, Right to freedom of religion, Cultural and educational rights, Rights to constitutional remedies.
- Fundamental duties of citizens are incorporated in the constitution by 42nd Amendment in 1976.
- Articles 36 to 51 of the constitution deal with the Directive Principles of State Policy (DPSP). DPSP are instructions to the State for securing socio-economic developmental objectives through its policies.These policies are for the Centre as well as for the States.
- Special features of Indian Constitution are federal structure, unitary spirit, Parliamentary republic, Bi-cameral union parliament, Single citizenship, Single integrated judiciary, judicial review, judicial activism, emergency provisions.
- The constitution of India is unique constitution not only for being the constitution of world’s largest democracy by also for embodying the best features of number of constitutions of the world.
Indian constitution is not influenced by the constitution of:Marks:1
Indian constitution is influenced by French, Canadian, US, British, Australian and Ireland’s constitutions.
Constituent assembly of free India was established on the basis of:Marks:1
Cabinet Mission Plan.
The Constituent Assembly was established under the Cabinet Mission Plan.
Right to property was deleted from Indian constitution through which Amendment?Marks:1
44th Amendment Act.
Initially, there were seven Fundamental Rights but Right to Property was deleted by the 44th Amendment Act, 1979.
Among the following what is Incorporated in the constitution by 42nd Amendment in 1976?Marks:1
Fundamental duties of citizens were incorporated in the constitution by 42nd Amendment in 1976.
As on 2018, how many languages are recognised in eighth schedule of Indian constitution?Marks:1
22 (Twenty two)
The language of the Supreme Court and High Courts is English. In Schedule 8, constitution recognises 22 languages.