Minority and Functional Representation
- For the proper functioning of democracy, it is essential that system of representation should be such that it should be able to represent minority and majority both in a balanced manner.
- Minority is a group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society. Proportional representation advocates that only those candidates should be considered elected in a position to get a fixed quota of votes and not just more votes than other candidates.
- Two methods of proportional representation are popularly suggested for securing these objectives. They are the single transferable vote method or the hare system, and the list method or the list system. The method of Single Transferable vote system ensures the maximum utilisation of possible votes.
- The List system provides for the distribution of seats among political parties in proportion to the popular votes secured by them. List System sees to that people from all communities are represented. Due share is also given to the parties that lend their support to minorities.
- Principles of list system are multi-member constituencies, one person one vote, every individual votes for the list of a particular party and quota is fixed for winning elections.
- The other methods of minority representation are second ballot system, cumulative vote system, limited vote system, communal electorates, reservation of seats, nominations system.
- Functional Representation is also known as occupational representation. This system is opposed to the system of territorial representation. Functional Representation holds that each functional class (doctor, engineers) or group should have the right to elect its own representatives.
In the nomination system of minority representation, who is given the right to nominate representatives of minority community?Marks:1
Head of the state/President
In this system head of the state is given the right to nominate some representatives of minority community to the legislature. For example, the president of India has the right to nominate two representatives of the Anglo-Indian community in the Lok Sabha, in case he finds that this community has not got some representative in the house.
Which among the following is not a method of Minority representation?Marks:1
First past the post system
In first past the post system, whosoever secures the maximum vote gets elected. Every democracy tries to give representation to minorities with a view to secure integration of the interests of them by these systems of voting.
Single transferable vote method is also known by which other name?Marks:1
Single Transferable Vote Method is also known as Hare System. The name of its formulator is Mr. Thomas Hare. This system grants single vote to every voter.
The method of Proportional representation is designed to give representation toMarks:1
Proportional Representation is a method of minority representation which is designed to ensure the representation of minorities in rough proportion to their numerical strengths.
On which ground, Proportional representation call for minority representation?Marks:1
Proportional representation is a method of minority representation to ensure their representation in rough proportion to their numerical strength.