Universal Adult Suffrage
- The power of the state over the people is exercised by the elected representatives of the people. The people rule through their elected representatives.
- The electorate is the body of all the people who have the right to vote and elect representatives of people. Their right to vote is described as the suffrage of franchise.
- Election is the process by which the voters or electors select their representatives by casting their votes freely in favour of the candidates of their choice.
- In the 19th century property, gender and educational qualifications are used for granting the right to vote.
- Property franchise is based on the belief that the ownership of property results in responsible behaviour.
- In all modern democracies, women enjoy an equal right to vote. Universal adult franchise means right to vote to all adult citizens, both men and women without any discrimination.
- Universal adult franchise symbolizes the equality of all the people and posits faith in the ability of all the people to elect their representatives. The right to vote is a source of strength and confidence for all citizens of the country.
- Constituency is a unit of area or a demarcated group of people who constitute one unit for electing a representative or some representatives.A demarcated area where voters live within its territorial limits, elect a representative or some representatives. This is known as territorial representation.
- The Universal declaration of Human Rights (1948) has accepted and advocated the grant of the right to equal franchise (Equal right to vote) to all men and women in every state of the world.
Which type of voting system is used for the election of Lok Sabha and state assembly members?Marks:1
Secret vote system
Election of these members is done through secret vote system. In this system the voter votes in secrecy. No one knows as to whom a voter has voted.
The President and vice President of India are elected by which method of election?Marks:1
In indirect election people/elector/voter exercises their right to vote and elects members of Electoral College (intermediatories). These intermediates exercise their voting power to elect members of Rajya Sabha, President and vice President of India.
The enjoyment of which of this right by women, is the pre-requisite for any state to be called as democratic state?Marks:1
Right to vote
A state can be accepted as a democratic state if women enjoy the right to vote and get a chance to actively participate in the democratic politics.
Through Universal adult franchise all the adult citizens of nation enjoyMarks:1
Right to vote
People are given right to elect their representatives through the exercise of ballot (vote). Through universal adult suffrage all the adult men and women is given the right to vote.
In Democratic countries, who is sovereign and supreme within the state?Marks:1
In a democratic country, people are supreme and sovereign. Sovereignty is exercised by the people through the right to vote.