Parliamentary Executive in India
- According to the Constitution of India, President appoints the leader of the majority party as the Prime Minister. If a party or a coalition group gets a majority, the President appoints the leader of the coalition group as the Prime Minister.
- Any person who is not a member of any of the houses of Parliament can become a minister on a condition that he has to attain the membership of either of the house of Parliament within six months.
- Prime Minister need not be always from Lok Sabha. Constitution specifies that there is no formal qualification needed for the office of Prime Minster. President appoints Prime Minster and his Council of Ministers. Prime Minister submits the list of persons who are to be appointed as Council of Ministers.
- Prime Minister can shuffle his Ministry at his discretion. This he does so in order to bring in effectiveness, efficiency and discipline in the administration.He puts before the Cabinet the views of the President and keeps the President informed of all actions and decisions of the Government.
- Prime Minister is the leader of the Lok Sabha and the Parliament. In consultation with the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, decides all the items in the agenda of the House. He has the power to ask for the dissolution of the Lok Sabha.
- Prime Minister plays an important role in determining the foreign policy of the country. Indian Constitution states that the emergency powers are in the hands of the President but in reality the powers are exercised by the Prime Minister.
Who determines the salaries and allowances of Ministers?Marks:1
Parliament of India
The salaries and allowances of Ministers shall be such as Parliament may determine from time to time by law.
National emergency under Article 352 was imposed during June 1975 to March 1977. Name the prime Minister who imposed this emergency.Marks:1
Nature of authority of Prime Minister can be judged from the manner in which Mrs. Indira Gandhi exercised her authority during emergency rule from June 1975 to March 1977.
Who is the chief link between the President and the cabinet?Marks:1
Prime minister is the main channel of communication between President and the Cabinet. She/he communicates all the decisions arrived at the Cabinet to the President.
Who can ask the Prime Minister to prove his majority, in case of defection or split in the coalition of ruling parties?Marks:1
President of India
If either on account of defection or party split or withdrawal of support by a coalition partner, the Prime Ministers party gets reduced to a minority in the Lok Sabha, the President can ask him to prove his majority.
Who among the following former Prime Minister was member of Lok Sabha at the time of first appointment?Marks:1
Lal Bahadur Shastri
Indira Gandhi, Manmohan Singh and I K Gujral were members of Rajya Sabha at the time of their first appointment.