Comparative Study of Legislature:- India, U.S.A and U.K.
- Legislature in Britain is a sovereign legislature, Indian and American legislatures are non-sovereign legislatures. The British judiciary has no power to conduct judicial review over laws passed by the parliament.
- The British monarch has no power to veto the laws passed by the British parliament. The sole authority which can amend or reject or maintain the laws passed by the parliament is the British parliament itself.
- The Senate, which is the second chamber in USA is a very powerful house. It is stronger than the House of Representatives which is the lower house. The members of the British House of Lords are not elected but are hereditary and nominated. The laws made by the Indian parliament and the US Congress are subject to the power of judicial review of the Supreme Court.
- The Rajya Sabha in India which gives representation to the states is not truly federal in nature. The Rajya Sabha in India shares ordinary law making powers with the Lok Sabha.
- The Lok Sabha in India, too is a very powerful house but comparatively little lesser than the British House of Commons. The Indian speaker presides over the meetings of Lok Sabha. The British speaker presides over the meetings of the House of Commons. The American speaker presides over the meetings of the House of Representatives. The role played by the Indian and British speaker is politically neutral where as the American speaker is a powerful person who works as party leader with partisan approach.
In case of any disagreement between the two houses of the US congress, what is constituted to resolve the deadlock?Marks:1
Joint conference committee
In case of any disagreement between the two houses of the US congress, a joint conference committee of the two houses is constituted to resolve the deadlock.
In USA, who acts as the ex-officio chairman of the senate?Marks:1
The Vice-President of USA acts as the ex-officio, chairman of the Senate.
In India who has the power to create or disband an all India service?Marks:1
Rajya Sabha has two exclusive powers-
· It can create or disband an All India Service (Art 312).
· Power to declare a state subject as a subject of national importance (Art 249).
Which among the following countrys second chamber is powerful than the first chamber?Marks:1
United States of America
The Senate, which is the second chamber in USA is a very powerful house. It is stronger than the House of Representatives which is the lower house.
Which among the following is a sovereign legislature?Marks:1
Legislature in Britain is a sovereign legislature, Indian and American legislatures are non-sovereign legislatures.