- US legislature is known as Congress.US has a federal legislature. The congress is a non-sovereign legislature. It is bound by a written and supreme US constitution.
- House of Representatives is the popular, lower and directly elected House of the US Congress.
- The Upper House of the US Congress is called the Senate, representing the states of US federation. Congress is the legislative body and has a number of checking powers over the President. The House of Representatives represents the people of United States, this house is directly responsible to them.
- In matters of law-formulation the House of Representatives is at par with that of the Senate.
- The Speaker is the Chairman and the leader of the House of Representatives.His partisan nature acts as a source of power.However, it also lowers its stature as he mostly acts and thinks as a party man and has a biased view.
- President can exercise Suspensory and Pocket veto over the bills approved by the Congress. All treaties made by the President become functional only when approved by two-third majority of the Senate.
- The US Senate has the distinction of being the most powerful second chamber in the world. The Vice-President of United States is the ex-officio presiding officer of the Senate.
- The Senate’s power of impeachment, the right to ratify or deny ratification to the treaties concluded by the President, to support or not support the appointments made by the President gives Senate the special powers.
- No money bill can be introduced in the Senate.After a money-bill is passed in the House of Representatives, it goes for approval to Senate.
How many members are there in the US Congress?Marks:1
Congress has 535 voting members: 435 Representatives of House of Representatives and 100 Senators of US Senate.
The money bills can be initiated only in theMarks:1
House of Representatives
Money Bills can be initiated only in the House of Representatives. The fate of the money bill is ultimately decided by the Senate.
The citizens of US are eligible to vote for the House of Representatives at the age ofMarks:1
The Members of House of Representatives are directly elected by Universal Adult Suffrage. After 26th Amendment, Citizens who have attained 18 years of age are entitled to vote. Before this amendment voting age was 21 years.
Who acts as the ex-officio chairman of the senate?Marks:1
The Vice-President of USA acts as the ex-officio, chairman of the Senate.
For how many years members of house of Representatives are elected?Marks:1
The total membership of House of Representatives is 435. They are directly chosen by the people through a system of secret ballot, a simple majority victory system. Members are elected for a term of two years.