An introduction to waste management
• The amount of waste generated on the Earth has been increased due to over population and industrialisation. It is very important to manage the solid waste effectively, otherwise, it might become a threatening problem for the next generation.
• The overall goal of solid waste management is to collect, treat and dispose waste.
• Waste disposal can be done in 4 steps that are collection of waste, segregation, processing, recovery and disposal.
• Collection methods include block collection, Kerbside collection,collection of waste from specific location and door to door collection.
• Segregation of waste is done to separate the waste as per the three categories,namely, biodegradable, non-biodegradable and hazardous. It is the most important step of waste disposal.
• Biodegradable waste containskitchen and garden wastes, while non-biodegradable waste containspaper, plastic, poly bags, metal and glass. Hazardous waste contains radioactive substances, heavy metals, poisonous chemicals, explosives etc.
• Processing and recovery of waste involves either processing of waste to get energy in the form of fuel, or recovery of useful items that can be reused.
• Disposal of waste involves disposing off the residue left after processing.
• Methods of disposal of solid waste include biological method that involves turning it into manure through composting, thermal methods like incineration and gasification and sanitary landfills.
• Recycling of solid waste involves breaking downof the old articles to make new things.
• Integrated solid waste management is a comprehensive waste prevention, recycling, composting and waste disposal program.
To Access the full content, Please Purchase
An untrue statement regarding waste management isMarks:1
collection and disposal.
Explanation:Waste management can be done by collection and separation of wastes, reduction and resource recovery and the last step is treatment and disposal of wastes.
Papier-mache is applied on the surface of pots to increase itsMarks:1
Explanation:Paper-mache is the paste of clay and paper. It also has some rice husk mixed in it and is used put on baskets etc. to provide them strength.
A mixture of clay and paper is called Papier-Marks:1
Explanation:Papier-mache is the paste of clay and paper. It also has some rice husk mixed in it and is used to put around the baskets etc. to provide them strength.
Recyclable waste is collected inMarks:1
Explanation:Blue bin is used to collect waste that can be used again after recycling. This kind of waste includes glass, metals, etc.
Green bin is used for collecting waste,Marks:1
which rots completely when buried in the soil.
Explanation:Green bin is used to collect waste like plant or animal waste or waste from kitchen. Such wastes rot completely when buried in the soil.