The argumentative essay is a genre of writing that requires the student to investigate a topic; collect, generate, and evaluate evidence; and establish a position on the topic in a concise manner. It is usually a topic on which there is enough matter on both aspects .
Students are free to express their views for or against a topic. It is important that students stick to one point of view and present it forcefully.
There are two types of Argumentative Compositions
• Composition that deals with both pros and cons of a subject.
• Composition that focuses on only one side (either the pros or the cons)
Characteristics of an Argumentative Composition
• The argumentative thesis takes a side of an issue; frequently it proposes an approach of action which is often expressed with the modal should).
• The composition should attempt to change the reader’s mind, to convince the reader to agree with the point of view of the writer.
• An Argumentative essay should be to highly persuasive and logical.
Steps to write an argumentative composition-
• Planning stage
• Writing stage
Some tips to write the essay-
• Carry out extensive research on the counter side of the argument so that you are well prepared to defend your argument.
• Know the difference between a logical conclusion and an emotional one.
• Don’t make up evidence.
• Use logic and reason to refute opponent’s arguments.