• Thrust is defined as the force acting perpendicular to a surface. The SI unit of thrust is same as the unit of force, i.e., newton (N). The c.g.s. unit of thrust is dyne.
• Pressure is defined as thrust acting per unit area on a surface. The
- Pascal’s law states that the pressure exerted anywhere in a confined incompressible liquid is transmitted equally in all directions irrespective of the area on which it acts and it always acts at right angles to the surface of containing vessel.
- Applications of Pascal&rsq
- Atmospheric pressure on the surface of the earth is the thrust exerted per unit area on the earth surface due to column of air.
- The existence of atmospheric pressure can be easily demonstrated in laboratory by collapsing tin can experiment.
- Few effects of atmospheric
• A fluid exerts pressure due to its weight. Buoyancy or buoyant force is the upward force exerted by any fluid upon a body immersed in it.
&nbs.... Read More
• According to law of floatation, when a solid is floating in a fluid, then the weight of the whole solid acting vertically downward at its centre of gravity is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by immersed part of solid acting vertically upward, at its centre of b.... Read More