Non-Renewable Sources of Energy
• Non-renewable sources of energy are the sources which are exhaustible and take longer time to form again. They can’t be replenished once they have been used.
• Fossil fuels which include coal, petroleum and natural gas are example of non-renewable sources of energy. Fossil fuels were formed by doing anaerobic decompositions of the remains of prehistoric plants and animals buried deep inside the earth millions of years ago.
• Coal is a black solid material, obtained from the products of plants, mainly trees that died tens or hundreds of millions of years ago.
• Petroleum is a liquid fossil fuel, occurs deep inside the earth between two layers of non-porous rocks.
• Natural gas is a gaseous fossil fuel that is formed by the decomposition of dead plants and sea organisms buried under the earth few million years ago and this decomposition is done by anaerobic bacteria under high pressure and temperature conditions.
• Nuclear energy is another non-renewable source of energy.Nuclear energy is the energy released when the nuclei of heavy elements gets split by colliding with slow moving neutrons or the nuclei of light elements get fused to form a heavier nucleus. Nuclear energy can be obtained by two important methods that are nuclear fission and nuclear fusion.
• Nuclear fission is the splitting of nucleus of a heavy atom into two lighter nuclei, such as splitting of uranium-235 by bombarding it with slow moving neutrons, with a simultaneous release of huge amount of energy.
• In nuclear fission reaction, a heavy nucleus is split into smaller nuclei and few additional neutrons are released along with emission of heat energy which is used to generate electricity.
• Nuclear fusion is a process in which two lighter nuclei combine together to form a stable heavier nucleus with a simultaneous release of a very large amount of energy.
• Energy Crisis is the condition in which there is shortage of energy sources like coal, wood, oil and natural gas due to their long use. To prevent energy crisis energy should be used judiciously.
To Access the full content, Please Purchase
Define nuclear fusion.Marks:1
The process in which the lighter nuclei combine to form a more stable heavier nucleus.
What do you mean by nuclear fission?Marks:1
Process in which an unstable heavy nucleus gets split into two smaller nuclei when bombarded with slow moving neutrons.
What do you mean by nuclear energy?Marks:1
Nuclear energyis the energy released when either the nuclei of heavy elements gets split by slow moving neutrons or the nuclei of light elements get fused to form a heavier nucleus.
Name few fossil fuels that are used as source of energy.Marks:1
Coal, petroleum and natural gas are fossil fuels that are used as source of energy.
What do you mean by fossil fuels?Marks:1
Fossil fuels are the group of energy source that were formed from the remains of prehistoric plants and animals got buried deep inside the earth millions of years ago due to some natural processes.