Renewable Sources of Energy
• Renewable sources of energy are those which are inexhaustible that means unlimited in number and also produce continuously in nature. Sun, wind, water, ocean tides etc. are examples of renewable energy source.
• Solar energy obtained from the sun and used for the generation of electricity. Solar cells, solar collectors convert solar energy to electrical energy which is used to perform different daily life activities.
• Wind energy is obtained from the wind. It is the form of solar energy. Winds are caused by the uneven heating of the atmosphere by the sun, the irregularities of the earth's surface, and rotation of the earth. Harnessing of wind energy is done by wind turbines.
• The kinetic energy possessed by flowing water and the potential energy of water stored at some height is known as hydro-energy. Electrical energy from the flowing water can be produced with the help of hydropower plant.
• Oceans store energy in different forms such as tidal energy, wave energy and ocean thermal energy. Tidal energy is the energy obtained due to gravitational pull of moon on the water in the sea. Wave energy is the energy possessed by the oceans and sea waves. Ocean thermal energy is the heat energy stored in the ocean.
• Geothermal energy is the heat energy that is generated and stored in the earth’s interior.
• Biogas energy is the energy produced due to anaerobic fermentation of biomass such as agricultural waste, animal dung, municipal waste, plant material, green waste or food waste. Bio-gas plants are used to convert biomass into bio-gas energy.
• Garbage energy is the energy generated from the garbage or waste products.
To Access the full content, Please Purchase
What is photovoltaic effect?Marks:2
It is the phenomenon in which light energy directly converts into electric energy, when light rays fall on certain sensitive materials such as semiconductors like germanium and silicon.
List some uses of solar cells.Marks:2
They are used for providing electricity to electronic calculators and wrist watches.
2. They are used to run television and radios in remote areas where electrical energy cannot be supplied.
3. They are mainly used for providing electricity to the satellites and space probes.
What do you mean by renewable sources of energy?Marks:1
Sources that are inexhaustible and produce continuously in nature.
What do you mean by solar constant?Marks:1
It is the amount of solar radiation received by unit area of surface per second.
What is solar energy?Marks:1
Solar energy is the energy obtained from the sun.