CUET Preparation Tips 2023: 10 Ways to Ace Your Entrance Test
The Common University Entrance Test (CUET), previously known as the Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET) is a standardized all-India test conducted for admissions to a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate, diploma, certificate and research programs. In March 2022, the National Testing Agency (NTA) introduced this new revamped version of CUCET which is now adopted across 45 central universities, along with other state, deemed and private universities.
CUET: An Overview
With nearly 15 lakh registrations in its introductory year, CUET has quickly turned into India’s second largest entrance examination, surpassing JEE mains. As a result, it is a highly competitive test that demands you to be well-prepared with a strong study plan in order to achieve good scores.
In this blog post, we take you through the best methods to prepare for the CUET exam using a combination of expert-approved CUET preparation tips and impactful learning strategies that will help you ace this highly competitive test.
10 Key Tips on How to Prepare for CUET Exam
If you plan on appearing for CUET 2023, it is important that you make the most of your time by setting the right learning pace from the get go. In order to help you gear up, we have put together 10 CUET preparation tips that will boost your performance.
1. Understand the CUET syllabus 2023
The CUET syllabus is likely to differ depending on your language and domain-specific subjects of choice. You can primarily expect topical questions regarding literary aptitude, current affairs, mathematics, logical and analytical reasoning, among others. It is best to list out the subjects and make note of topics from the most to least weightage to ensure you do not miss out on anything.
2. Find the updated CUET exam pattern
The current CUET exam pattern comprises MCQ-based questions that are divided into four sections – language test (sections 1A and 1B), domain-specific subjects (section 2) and general test (section 3). As per recent updates, the exam is to be conducted in two slots. The first slot is 45 to 195 minutes followed by the second slot of 45 to 225 minutes.
3. Choose your learning strategy
Once you have learned about the CUET syllabus and exam pattern, it’s time to devise a distinctive learning strategy that caters specifically to your academic needs. You can start by identifying your strengths and then work on the topics that may require some extra practice.
4. Make a list of preferred universities
Creating a list of your preferred institutions will give you an insight into the previous year’s cut-off. You can also use this information to evaluate the scores you need to target in CUET 2023 and prepare accordingly.
5. Check out CUET preparation books
Once you are clear on the domain-specific subjects you are going to choose, purchase at least two to three top-rated CUET books to solidify your preparation. These informative guides are not only going to help you cover your syllabus effectively but will also ensure that you have the most updated study material for CUET 2023. If you’d like to amp up your preparation further, check out the Extramarks Learning App for the best learning solutions.
6. Be focused and consistent
The CUET exam preparation process demands a combination of learning, practice and revision. So it is important that you minimize distractions and dedicate a fixed number of hours towards executing your learning strategies with focus and consistency.
7. Prepare a time-table
As the CUET syllabus covers a wide range of topics, creating a time-table based on your weekly and monthly goals can help tackle all topics in order of priority. This is an important part of your learning strategy and will ensure that you remain well-prepared and organized around exam time.
8. Revision is key
When devising your study plan, make sure you factor in enough time for revision to go over important or complex topics. You can even have a dedicated revision time at the end of every study session to clarify concepts and boost your preparation further.
9. Refer to previous CUET papers
One of the most important CUET preparation tips is to practice previous years CUET papers. This will help you get a better understanding of the type of questions, format, high importance topics, scoring questions, etc. and give you an insight into what to expect before appearing for CUET 2023.
10. Solve CUET sample papers
The best way to evaluate your CUET preparation is by attempting sample tests once you have covered the entire syllabus. You can appear for the CUET Mock Test 2023 which is a close replica of the actual test that will help you learn more about the speed and accuracy required.
How to Prepare for CUET Language Test – Section 1A & 1B
Section 1A (13 languages) and Section 1B (19 languages) of the CUET exam are meant to test your command and fluency over languages. Each section has 50 questions where you are required to answer any 40. These questions are generally divided across reading comprehensions, verbal ability, grammar and vocabulary. Here are some CUET preparation tips for the language section:
1. Develop a reading habit (books, newspapers, etc.). This will help you interpret information quickly and practice finding keywords to frame answers in reading comprehension questions.
2. Read at least 10 pages a day so that you can enhance your vocabulary and strengthen your grammar skills.
3. Solve practice comprehensions to polish your critical and analytical thinking skills. It will also give you an idea on effective time management while attempting this section.
How to Prepare for CUET Domain-Specific Test – Section 2
You can select between five to six domain-specific subjects in this section, depending upon the number of languages selected in Section 1. In this section, there are a total of 50 questions out of 40 that need to be answered. These questions are based on the NCERT Class 12 syllabus. Here are some tips to help you be well-prepared for CUET section 2:
1. NCERT books have been annotated as the main preparatory source for CUET. You can refer to these books to kickstart your domain-specific preparation.
2. Make clear study notes with important definitions and formulas to make revision easier.
3. Practice CBSE Class 12 exam papers and sample tests to solidify fundamental concepts. On Extramarks, you will find a repository of practice material to help you brush up on the NCERT syllabus.
4. Attempt MCQ-based questions from NCERT textbooks to get an idea on the level of difficulty.
How to Prepare for CUET General Test – Section 3
This section broadly encompasses questions on analytical & logical reasoning, current affairs, quantitative aptitude and general awareness. These tips should enhance your preparation for CUET section 3:
1. Revise foundational concepts across Class 8, 9 and 10 for better clarity on quantitative questions.
2. Maintain a notebook with all essential formulas to make it easier to skim through during revision time.
3. Practice puzzle-related questions to boost your problem-solving skills.
4. Read the newspaper regularly to stay updated on national and international affairs.
5. Improve your calculation and mind mapping skills to solve specific types of questions quickly.
6. Solve mock tests and CUET papers from previous years to get a better idea on reasoning- based questions.
How to Prepare for CUET 2023 – Additional Tips
Now that you have a better insight on the CUET exam preparation process, all you need to do is put these pointers into practice. To check if you have all the information that you will need, we have compiled a list of additional tips to ensure you are fully prepared to take on CUET 2023.
1. Make sure to have a clear understanding of the CUET marking scheme. As per the current scheme, one mark is awarded for every correct answer and 0.25 is deducted for every incorrect answer. Questions that are unanswered will not attract negative marking.
2. While NCERT books are an essential part of the CUET preparation, making use of expert-recommended CUET books can really ramp up your knowledge, as they are customized specifically for the exam. To get started, here is a list of important books for CUET 2023.
4. Once the exam dates are released, you are required to pay an application fee and download the CUET application form which can be submitted online. This is also where you need to download the CUET admit card from.
5. Account for multiple revision sessions once you have covered the CUET syllabus. Solving sample papers and mock tests is key to strengthening your concepts.
6. To conclude, we hope that these effective CUET preparation tips come in handy and have provided you with all the information that you need in order to ace this entrance exam with great scores.