NEET 2023 - Exam Dates, Syllabus, Eligibility and Preparation Tips
All About NEET 2023 – Latest Updates!
What is NEET?
National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) is a medical entrance exam that allows students to pursue medicine in Government and Private Institutes in India. The exam is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) which is a regulatory body for the NEET and other exams.
The NEET 2023 is not just an assessment of learning outcomes; in fact, you are on the way to create your first milestone in your career. Hence, it’s equally important to get NEET 2023 latest updates as well as proper guidance to crack one of the most competitive medical entrance exams in India.
Find out more about NEET 2023 with the details given below and get all the NEET updates 2023!
NEET 2023 Highlights
The Medical Council of India has announced some modifications in NEET on the recommendation of the Union Health Ministry. Let’s have a look at the changes implemented for NEET 2023.
- The NEET 2023 is a single-level medical entrance test conducted nationwide, which does not include AIIMS and JIPMER entrance tests.
- There is NO restriction on the number of attempts in NEET,however, age limit restrictions must be followed as stated.
- NEET 2023 cannot be taken up by State Open School or NIOS or private candidates.
- The exam shall be in two languages apart from the language preferred in English.
- Qualifying NEET 2023 UG exam is now a must even for Indian candidates who wish to pursue medicine abroad.
- It is not compulsory to produce the Aadhaar Card while filling NEET application form. However, candidates must have valid ID proof.
- The 15% All India Quota scheme is now joined by Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
NEET 2023 Exam Date
Candidates who are willing to attempt NEET 2023 must check the tentative dates mentioned below.
|Application form – Date of release||November 2021|
|Application form – Last Date Of Application||December 2021|
|Application form fee – Last date to submit||December 2021|
|Correction Window Portal Opens||January 2023|
|Admit Card Release date||April 2023|
|NEET 2023 Exam date||First Sunday of May 2023|
|NEET 2023 Announcement of Results||First week of June 2023|
NEET 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Before you set sail for your NEET 2023 journey, you should be well aware of the NEET eligibility criteria. Keep reading to find the complete details.
|Minimum Age/ Age Criteria||1. Students appearing for the NEET 2023 should be of at least 17 years of age as of 31 December 2023.
2. The maximum age limit will be 25 years for the General category. And for candidates belonging to SC/ST & OBC category, the age limit is 30 years.
|Educational Qualification||1. Candidates who have either finished or are appearing for class 12 or equivalent are eligible for the NEET 2023.
2. Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology and English must be the major subjects via the recognised board to be able to apply for NEET 2023.
3. General category – 50% marks in the qualifying examinations.
4. SC/ST/OBC category – 40% marks in the qualifying examinations.
5. Physically handicapped: General category – 45% marks in the qualifying examinations.
6. Physically handicapped: SC/ST/OBC category – 40% marks in the qualifying examinations.
|Nationality||According to the NEET 2023 eligibility criteria, the candidate should be an Indian Citizen. If the candidate does not reside in India, then he/ she should be:
1. Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)
2. Non-Resident Indians (NRIs)
3. Persons with Indian Origin (PIO)
4. Foreign Nationals
|Aadhaar Card Possession||1. Aadhaar Card is not compulsory for the NEET 2023.
2. Candidates belonging to Meghalaya, Assam, and J&K can provide bank account numbers, ration card numbers, passport numbers, or any valid ID number.
3. OCI, NRI, PIO, and other foreign nationals can provide their passport number.
NEET 2023 Application
- Visit the official website for NEET Application Form.
- Fill up the NEET registration form by providing the name, number, email ID, date of birth, category, nationality, qualification details such as Year of Passing, percentage of marks, your choice for exam centre, and other information.
- Only scanned copies of the required documents in the size and format specified should be uploaded.
- NEET Application fees can be paid both online and offline.
- The confirmation page will appear near the end of the process. Take a printout of the completed application form for your records.
- Once the process is complete, candidates will be provided with a provisional registration number on their registered phone number and email ID.
Documents required for NEET 2023 Application Form
|Name of the Document||Specification provided by NTA||Size of file
|Description for Online Tool
(with 72 DPI)
|Passport size photograph||Not specified||10 Kb to 200 Kb||2.5 X 3.5 inches|
|Postcard size photograph||4″X6″||50 Kb to 300 Kb||4.25 X 3.5 inches|
|Signature of the candidate||Not specified||4 Kb to 30 Kb||2.5 X 3.5 inches|
|Left-thumb impression||Not specified||10 Kb to 50 Kb||2.5 X 3.5 inches|
|Class 10 mark sheet||Not specified||100 Kb to 400 Kb||2.5 X 3.5 inches|
NEET 2023 Application Fee
|Category||Fee Amount||Fee Amount (With Late Fee)|
|GC/OBC||INR 1400||INR 2800 (1400+1400)|
|SC/ST/PwD||INR 750||INR 2150 (750+1400)|
Mode of Payment
All applicants must pay the Application fee in order to complete the NEET Application form. Application fee payment can be done through the offline or online mode as given below:
- Online method – Credit card/Debit card/Paytm/Net banking
- Offline method – Bank Challan
NEET 2023 Application Form Correction
Applicants who successfully complete the NEET 2023 Application Form will have the opportunity to examine their applications and make any necessary changes around the third week of March 2023. The complete form correcting procedure will be online. Any other manner of application form correction will be rejected by NTA.
NEET 2023 Syllabus
The NEET 2023 syllabus is vast. The weightage for the NEET syllabus is divided between three primary subjects so that students can allocate their precious time equally to score a good rank. Students need to know the important chapters and weightage for NEET 2023 because it will help them know the topics that need more attention during their NEET preparation.
Based on the careful analysis and past years’ NEET question papers, we have prepared a list of all the important chapters and their weightage in all three subjects for the NEET 2023. With important chapters, you will be able to prepare for the exam smartly.
NEET 2023 Physics: Important Chapters and their weightage for NEET 2023
|Dual Nature of Matter & Radiation||7.3%|
|Magnetism & Moving Charges||6.3%|
|Rigid Body Dynamics||5.6%|
|Work, Energy, and Power||5.2%|
|Kinetic Theory & Thermal Properties of Matter||2.0%|
NEET 2023 Chemistry: Important Chapters and their weightage for NEET 2023
|Organic Chemistry – II||5.6%|
|The d and f Block Elements||4.4%|
|IUPAC & Isomerism||4.0%|
|Thermodynamics and Thermochemistry||3.8%|
|Haloalkanes and Haloarenes||2.2%|
|Chemistry in Everyday Life||1.3%|
|Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids||1.0%|
NEET 2023 Biology: Important Chapters and their weightage for NEET 2023
|Human Physiology Biological Classification Molecular Basis of Inheritance||12.0%|
|Molecular Basis of Inheritance||8.2%|
|Human Health and Diseases||4.3%|
|Biotechnology: Principles and Processes||3.1%|
|Microbes in Human Welfare||2.7%|
|Strategies for Enhancement of Food Production||1.4%|
NEET 2023 Exam Pattern
Refer to the table provided below to know about the NEET 2023 Exam pattern.
|Exam Name||National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET)|
|Conducting Body||National Testing Agency (NTA)|
|Mode of Exam||Pen-paper based|
|Expected number of Applicants||Around 16-17 lakhs|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
|Seats Offered||Admission of around 1 lakh MBBS and BDS seats under 85% State quota and 15% All India quota|
|Courses Offered||MBBS, BDS, AYUSH and other Courses|
|Number of Questions||180 questions (MCQs)|
|Type of questions||Objective type questions with 4 options – 1 correct answer|
|Subjects||Questions are asked from Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (Botany & Zoology)|
|Questions from sections||Physics – 45 questions
Chemistry – 45 questions
Biology (Botany + Zoology) – 90 questions
|Language||The question paper is asked in 13 languages – English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and Punjabi|
|Marking Scheme||4 marks are awarded for each correct answer.|
|Negative Marking||1 mark is deducted for each wrong answer|
How to Start Preparing for NEET 2023?
NEET preparation tips will help you understand how to crack the exam with flying colours.
- To prepare well for NEET 2023, take up biology along with another subject and begin with high weightage chapters so that you can cover more ground in less time.
- Don’t forget to go through NCERT solutions and books thoroughly. Highlight important facts and make notes. Once you are done with it, start with other study material and preparatory solutions like Extramarks – The Learning App for further practise. It will enhance your speed and accuracy when you take the NEET mock tests, practice tests and make you more confident.
- Make mind maps and learn to draw all the diagrams especially for biology. As far as Physics and Chemistry are concerned, make a chapter and concept-wise formulae sheet based on your understanding of the concepts to ace NEET 2023.
- Last but not least, it goes without saying that you need to practice past years’ papers to understand the exam pattern.
Let Extramarks take the load off your back by being your perfect mentor and guide. The Learning App will give you enough practice and NEET Mock Tests along with the feedback with an orientation of TAKING ACTION and Course Correct to improve your score.
Making mistakes is a part of the learning journey.If you make a mistake,you should not worry but should think on how you can improve from that mistakeThe definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Checklist to start NEET 2023 Preparation
While the clock is ticking, make the most of your time by sticking to your study timetable and by finishing your task on a daily basis. Discipline is the key. The best way to do it is by implementing a routine and sticking to the timeline.
To cap it all, your best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. In case you aren’t sure how to start and what goals and deadlines to set, you can bank on Extramarks as your mentor and guide to enhance your learning agility.
You have to be different to stand out from the crowd.
Take charge of yourself, your NEET preparation and get started.
NEET Counselling 2023
Candidates who have qualified NEET and have obtained the minimum qualifying percentile are eligible to participate in NEET Counselling. Candidates from the state of Jammu & Kashmir, however, are not eligible to participate in NEET counselling. Candidates must register on the official website (MCC) within the time frame to participate in the NEET Counselling procedure. All qualified candidates (including J&K state candidates) will be allowed to take part in the AIQ Counselling for Deemed Universities.
To register successfully and be eligible for the counselling procedures, candidates must pay NEET Counselling fees. There is one refundable fee and one non-refundable fee, both of which must be paid within the time limit specified. This payment can only be done online using Internet banking or a debit/credit card. At present, the charge for counselling is as follows.
|Type of Fee||Central Universities/15% AIQ||Amount (in Indian rupees)|
|All categories||INR 2,00,000/-|
|All categories||INR 5,000/-|
NEET 2023 Admit Card
The NEET Admit Card will be released on the official website for candidates who have successfully registered by submitting the NEET 2023 Application form. The following are some specifics:
- NEET Admit Cards will be only available online in the 2nd or 3rd week of April 2023.
- Candidates must take the printout of the NEET Admit Card.
- Candidates must check all the details on the Admit Card like Name, Father’s Name, Category, Roll Number, Photograph, Exam Date, Reporting Time, Venue, etc. carefully.
- In case of any discrepancy, they should immediately report to the official authorities and get it corrected at the earliest.
- Please note that the candidates failing to provide the NEET Admit Card at the exam centre will not be allowed to enter the examination hall.
NEET 2023 Results
NTA will announce the results for NEET 2023 on the official NEET website. By the first week of June 2023 (tentative), the results should be available. To log in and download results, candidates must go to the official website and log in using their individual credentials. Download your results and bring a copy with you to the NEET counselling session. NEET 2023 Cut off will be announced after the NEET results are announced.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. What is the expected date of NEET 2023?
The tentative date for NEET 2023 is 2nd May. 2023. However, please keep an eye on the official website to know the final date.
2. Will NEET 2023 be postponed?
As of now, there are no updates of NEET 2023 getting postponed. It is scheduled for 2nd May 2023.
3. Do NEET questions get repeated?
Around 10-15 questions are likely to get repeated every year in NEET, either in the same format or in a modified version but with the same solving method and concept.
4. Is the NEET 2023 syllabus reduced?
No, NTA has not released any notification related to NEET 2023 syllabus reduction.
5. Will NEET 2023 be held online?
The NEET 2023 paper will be held offline – Pen and paper mode.
6. Will NEET 2023 be conducted twice this year?
It is expected that NTA might conduct NEET 2023 twice a year in online mode. However, no confirmation regarding the same has been released yet.
7. Is NEET a tough exam to crack?
NEET has a standard difficulty level; however, NEET 2023 can be easier or difficult in comparison to past years. With good preparation, no exam is tough.